Duncan Lewis

Housing law and legal aid:

Date: (26 November 2012)    |    

Total Comments: (0)    |    Add Comments

All matters or issues arising out of local housing authorities, housing applications, tenants, landlords, ownership (residential commercial), possession actions, homelessness, illegal evictions, repairs, neighbour disputes, property disputes and harassment and many other areas of housing is governed by housing law.
But the most important aspects dealt under housing law are the issues concerning landlord and tenants and duties owed by local authorities to those who are vulnerable like homeless people and rights of allocation are covered.
Amu such right could become an issue with local authority and may have to be challenged at the County Court appeals and / or judicial review especially with cases of possessions.
Legal aid housing:
Free legal aid advice is provided in some cases under the services of Court Duty Advocacy Scheme. This service is funded by the government
Help is available under the scheme to all who are at risk of losing their home, and is not subject to any means test but information are recorded for statistical purposes.
The services under the Court Duty Advocacy Scheme funded by the government are available to anyone who is facing Court proceedings to take away their home. A trained housing solicitor at a Court is provided to represent on the day for anyone who are facing the situation of losing their home through possession proceedings, it could be because of rent or mortgage arrears, or for any other reason.
The scheme could help introductory and secure tenants of Local Authorities, assured tenants of Housing Associations, protected tenants of private landlords, owner occupiers, non secure occupiers, people facing warrants for eviction which could be a deadline set by the court bailiffs for all occupiers to be evicted and people facing applications for Orders for Sale after a Charging Order has been made.
If you wish to use the scheme then you have to tell the Court Usher on arriving at the court of using the scheme, who will direct you to the Duty Advisor who in turn will take required information from the person availing the scheme and negotiate with the landlord if appropriate or will go before the presiding officer to speak on your behalf. You shall take all your court papers to the court with any notices received by the landlord also take any documents which is related to support your claim of housing benefit or for help with your Mortgage payments.
It would always be a better idea to take legal advice before your hearing date from a specialist advisor which you could find in a list of advisors with the Legal Services Commission Contracts. If you want a housing advisor in your area it could be found through the Directgov website or contact or contact a law firm or a housing solicitor for an appointment.



Duncan Lewis Blog - Posted By: Janess on 8 August 2011 at 15:5

Your atircle perfectly shows what I needed to know, thanks!